Just Stuff

Rants, raves, stupid observations, and the occasional witty comment.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Scuba

I just found myself getting all tweeky about my next scuba dive. Don't know when or where, but I'm sure it will be awesome.

Following this train of thought, I wanted to post the few invaluable rules learned on the last dive in Grand Cayman (Eden Rock, for those who are interested). Here they are, for all prosperity.
  1. Never dive if you have less than 4 hours. No exceptions.
  2. Never dive if you haven't eaten in the last two hours. Scuba is a calorie-burning sport, at least until you get into the water!
  3. Trust your instincts. For example, if you tell the dive shop operator you need 22lbs of weight, and he tells you that you only need 15, insist on the 22 (especially in salt water with a 3 mil wetsuit!)
  4. Remember to set your underwater camera to the "take a picture" mode, instead of the review mode. Otherwise, you'll miss all the pretty fishies.
That said - I CAN'T WAIT! Nothing beats being in the water, hearing the sweet reassurance of your reg, and knowing that, for just a little while, you're in a completely different world. I'm hoping that we'll get back to Cayman for another dive, although I don't know what the conditions are after this year's hurricane season. I'd also like to dive the Florida Keys, although they are a slightly more beginning dive. The coast of North Carolina would be nice as well - plenty of shipwrecks - but they can get some nasty currents. If we can't make any of those places in the next year, there's always Lake Rawlings. I'm going to make a list of the gear that I have, and the gear I'm looking to get, and post it. That way, if any fellow divers happen along, they can offer advice.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home